Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A designer that inspires me is...



Seriously, how weirdly cool is this table and chair set. People are always telling me how design needs to be very concrete and technical, defining usage scenarios, capitalizing on emerging tech et al. And here comes the kooky old guy who decided hell, i want to make a table with people legs for legs, and I want it GOLD. That totally rules. I'm not trying to say that all that "hard" design isn't important; its totally necessary, but I feel like the way to separate yourself (because honestly you can teach almost anyone that methodology, DAAP is proof) from the rest of the design world is do things that no one has seen before. So I guess what I find so inspiring about Salvador Dali the designer is that he's a breath a fresh air and a reminder that design can be intuitive and fun and probably a little silly. Thats the part I really like. He also had a really long name: Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech, 1st Marquis of Púbol.

No comments: